From the “I love my Crock-Pot” series…. I continue.
As for you, it is time to upgrade your chicken soup game as we say goodbye to this cold weather. Do it with this Creamy White Wine Green Chile Chicken Stew y’all!
It’s a big name for this hug in a spoon and BIG FLAVOR if you dare add green chiles which I highly recommend.
This goodness I brought to you by slow simmering chicken in white wine goodness getting to know the Green Chile and potatoes. Why have I taken so long to start cooking with wine?? I must say, Holland House Cooking Wines have really opened me up to a whole new world!
Not only is this meal nutritious, it is strengthening and filling – satisfaction guaranteed! A full, happy belly and dancing taste buds!
Let’s get to it!
CREAMY WHITE WINE GREEN CHILE STEW
WHAT you need:
- 4 slices bacon cut into 1/8” strips
- 4 boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs; cut in-half horizontally and trimmed.
- 4-6 carrots peeled, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme minceS
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary
- 1 roasted green chile (or 1 small can)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of White Holland House Cooking Wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of Olive oil
- 1 lb. Mixed potatoes (all colors) washed & quartered
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
HOW to make it happen:
First of all. You need a Crock-Pot. Turn it on to high.
- Season chicken with thyme, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add carrots, 1/2 onion, potatoes, celery to Crock-Pot with 2 tablespoons of butter. Turn it on high and let them sit while you work on the chicken and sauce.
- Cook bacon in a cast iron Dutch oven (or skillet), over medium-low heat, until bacon browns then transfer bacon to Crock-Pot.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add 1/2 of the chopped onion and garlic to pan using bacon fat to sweat them for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken thighs and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Allow them to brown, about 2-3 months per side.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add White Holland House Cooking Wine allowing it to deglaze, about 3-4 minutes. Add cream and continue mixing and simmering another 3 minutes.
- Add deglazed “sauce” to the veggies in Crock-Pot and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add seared chicken and green Chiles.
- Add chicken broth – make sure chicken is submerged. Forget about it for 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken either in the Crock-Pot itself or remove to shred and then immediately put it back in.
- Allow another 1/2 hour to an hour before enjoying.
Get ready to have your minds blown!
I hope you guys try this. It is just delicious!
Count Colors, NOT Calories! Color your Plate, Color your Life
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – Follow for my recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! They typically end up on my YouTube channel as well! Videos stay up for 24 hours. They are also featured on my highlights over on Instagram Stories!