Hello Soup Lovers! So this right here is as easy as it gets! I make this often, but as you can imagine, more so in the colder months! The best part about it: 4 main ingredients! This makes for a Delicious Tomato Soup that can go well with a side salad or sandwich, or as a stand alone! It also makes it convenient for those of us who like to prepare our meals ahead of time! You also have options to make it creamier. I’m enjoying a bowl myself, as I write this for you!
TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- Crushed tomatoes (I use a 28oz can of crushed or diced tomatoes + a 14 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes) – Or even better, if you have fresh tomatoes, click here for how to make them into sauce and THEN use in your soup. Very worth it.
- 4-6 cups Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 6 – 10 leaves of Fresh basil, or to your taste (or use dried basil spice)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2-3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- More fresh basil
- Combine chopped onion and EVOO in a pot at medium heat. Stir until fragrant and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add butter and continue to caramelize.
- Add the crushed or diced tomatoes, followed by chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a light boil. If you chose to make the soup from scratch, follow the directions I use to make easy tomato sauce from scratch using Tony Tomatoes.
- Bring it down to a Simmer and add fresh Basil Leaves and allow the flavors to marry for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup to consistency of choice. You may also transfer soup to a blender or food processor. If you like it chunkier, pulse gently.
- Season it! Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes for the fire roasted kick. I like mine with a kick.
- Add cream. TIP: Add 1/2-1 cup of soup to heavy whipping cream and mix it before adding it to the full batch of soup. It makes a difference!
Optional: For added creaminess, add sour cream or Green yogurt to the top. More fresh basil and croutons for added texture and crunch. You can also make a killer sourdough triple grilled cheese with mozzarella, swiss and cheddar.
I made mine whole wheat sourdough bread from my Wildgrain box which has the best bread that is ready to eat in under 30 minutes! Use code “COLORFULFOODIE” to get $10 off your first box, it’s an amazing value with 4 loaves of sourdough bread, 2 fresh pastas and 4 seasonal pastries.
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook so you get the recipes in real time. Videos available for 24 hours so don’t miss a day!