Hello Soup Lovers! So this right here is as easy as it gets! I make this often, but as you can imagine, more so in the colder months! The best part about it: 4 main ingredients! This makes for a Delicious Tomato Soup that can go well with a side salad or sandwich, or as a stand alone! It also makes it convenient for those of us who like to prepare our meals ahead of time! You also have options to make it creamier. I’m enjoying a bowl myself, as I write this for you!
TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- Crushed tomatoes (I use a 28oz can of crushed or diced tomatoes + a 14 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes) – Or even better, if you have fresh tomatoes, click here for how to make them into sauce and THEN use in your soup. Very worth it.
- 4-6 cups Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 6 – 10 leaves of Fresh basil, or to your taste (or use dried basil spice)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2-3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- More fresh basil
- Combine chopped onion and EVOO in a pot at medium heat. Stir until fragrant and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add butter and continue to caramelize.
- Add the crushed or diced tomatoes, followed by chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a light boil. If you chose to make the soup from scratch, follow the directions I use to make easy tomato sauce from scratch using Tony Tomatoes.
- Bring it down to a Simmer and add fresh Basil Leaves and allow the flavors to marry for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup to consistency of choice. You may also transfer soup to a blender or food processor. If you like it chunkier, pulse gently.
- Season it! Salt, pepper and red pepper flakes for the fire roasted kick. I like mine with a kick.
- Add cream. TIP: Add 1/2-1 cup of soup to heavy whipping cream and mix it before adding it to the full batch of soup. It makes a difference!
Optional: For added creaminess, add sour cream or Green yogurt to the top. More fresh basil and croutons for added texture and crunch. You can also make a killer sourdough triple grilled cheese with mozzarella, swiss and cheddar.
I made mine whole wheat sourdough bread from my Wildgrain box which has the best bread that is ready to eat in under 30 minutes! Use code “COLORFULFOODIE” to get $10 off your first box, it’s an amazing value with 4 loaves of sourdough bread, 2 fresh pastas and 4 seasonal pastries.
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook so you get the recipes in real time. Videos available for 24 hours so don’t miss a day!
So I’ve been following you on Instagram and Snapchat for a few months now, and love what you do with food!! Though I will tell you I’ve never made anything before today!! It’s pouring outside and I saw your Snap story this morning about making soup for your husband and guests so I decided what better day to make this soup! And OH MY GOD IT IS SO GOOD!! And so easy!! I’m in love! So much better than canned soup, I’m never going back! Thanks for all you do, and can’t wait to see what else you cook up 🙂
Hannah, I so appreciate your message. You are awesome! I hope you enjoy the recipes and navigate through here finding what you can apply to your daily life!!! It’s my pleasure, it truly is!
I made this soup last night and we had leftovers tonight and it was sooooo good and super easy to make!! I love your snapchats and can’t wait to see what you make next! ❤️❤️
The longer it sits on the fridge the more flavorful it becomes. It’s amazing!!! Thanks doll!!
Comments are closed.