This is what every Brazilian thinks when they read Carrot Cake – needs to be drowning in chocolate sauce or include chocolate in it somehow, and yes, it is delicious! Brazilians don’t typically use nuts in their carrot cake but I just love the texture, so although I typically use pecans or walnuts in carrot cake, I maintained the “Brazilianized” theme and made these with hazelnuts.
THIS is the Healthier Version of my grandma’s Brazilian Carrot Cake (which you can find the recipe for on @BrazilianFusion) with my American flare. We always have carrot cake with coffee in Brazil, so making this is like a little piece of being “home” and sharing it with you all!
HEALTHY CARROT CAKE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
- 1 cup of oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 egg, 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or any other)
- 4-5 small peeled carrots, grated
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup honey, agave or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- cinnamon to taste
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped (or nut of choice)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate morsels
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare muffin or cake pan with cooking spray.
- Blend all ingredients except filling/ topping in a high speed blender, or use a food processor to pulverize oats and grate carrots.
- Mix together: grated carrots, eggs, yogurt, honey, sugar, coconut oil.
- Mix dry ingredients together: flours, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Fold in nuts. You may also fold in chocolate morsels or just sprinkle them on top of the muffins.
- Distribute batter evenly and bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through. I’m a user of the “when toothpick comes out clean from center” method.
- Allow to cool, snap a picture, tag me on it and devour.
•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•. •.•.•.• .
Count Colors, Not Calories!
Other IG: @BrazilianFusion
Facebook:The Colorful Foodie
SEE HOW TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUSNESS IN UNDER 3 MINUTES!