HEALTHIER Banana Apple Waffles
(Doubles as Pancakes)
Bringing some diversity to the everyday “healthier waffle recipe” previously posted. Check out the previous recipe if you’d like a more plain version by clicking here. I went to Eckerts Farms this passed weekend for Apple picking, so naturally I ended up with the most delicious apples! I literally incorporated them into every meal, so that’s the main reason why they are featured here. If you’re a local to Southern Illinois or St. Louis area.
- 4 oz banana, approximately 1 1/2 medium banana
- 1 oz quick oats, approximately 1/4
- 2 oz shredded apples, approximately 1/4 cup, loosely packed
- 1 egg
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
*Optional: May add chia and flaxseeds to the quick oats mix for the total of 1 oz grains. I like to do this.
What you need:
- Waffle iron if making waffles; Frying pan if making pancakes.
- Nonstick cooking spray (I like using coconut or olive oil spray)
- 1(ish) tbsp nut butter, melted (I almost always choose almond, instead of maple syrup if you’re avoiding sugar)
- .5 oz nuts (I almost always choose pecans)
- 2 oz fruit apples, caramelized or simply with added ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp plain or Greek yogurt (in place of whipped cream)
- Mix all ingredients together, pour into hot oiled waffle iron and wait for the magic to happen.
- If making pancakes keep them relatively small, pour only about 2 tablespoons at once over medium heat frying pan and turn them once they are set. They are fragile but hold up well.
- After done, top with the suggested toppings and enjoy. Feel free to switch up the fruits but stay away from fake sugar and mind your portions if you’re really wanting to stay on track.
- “To caramelize” apples without maple syrup or honey (how I usually do), simply spray frying pan with a bit of coconut oil or butter, add a squeeze of lemon juice and cinnamon to taste. A few tablespoons of water will also help achieve the “caramelization”, or browning of apples.
I hope you’re enjoying these “new” healthier recipe guys.
I’m sharing these recipes in hopes it will (and I know it will) help you on your journey and keeps me accountable! Thank you for being here!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – Follow for my recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! They typically end up on my YouTube channel as well! Videos stay up for 24 hours. They are also featured on my highlights over on Instagram Stories!