Sick with the cold or Flu? Maybe just looking for comfort as the weather gets cooler? For me it was both when I came up with this recipe, and now that I’m pregnant and can’t do much about this, it’s time. This soup was made to cure my first cold of the season (right on tie), and let me tell you, I’ve stopped it on its tracks before and will do it again! Paired it with a lemon honey tea and now I’ll wait for it to go! The best part is that it’s super simple, easy, quick and delicious! Because no one wants an elaborate meal when they are stuffy, sneezy and achy! Click here to watch the quick video, otherwise this is what I did:
CHICKEN LEMON ORZO SOUP
- 8 oz Pulled or Shredded chicken (or 2 4 oz chicken breasts)
- 4-5 Large Carrots, chopped
- 2 Celery Sticks, chopped
- 1 Cup Orzo (or 1/2 cup brown rice)
- 1 Lemon, (1/2 juiced, half sliced and halved)
- 4-6 Cups chicken broth
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Sautee garlic and onions with olive oil for 1-2 minutes on high heat until fragrant and translucent.
- Pan sear and brown chicken breast (if using).
- Add carrots and sautee gently, followed by chicken broth.
- Add celery and Orzo (or rice) lastly with the 1/2 lemon juice and simmer for as short as 30 minutes or as long as 3 hours on low heat.
- Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper to taste, especially since your taste buds should be funky right now.
- Garnish with lemon slices, which you can add directly into the soup as well, otherwise you can squeeze the other lemon half directly into soup as you are getting ready to serve. I will give it just the right amount of “tart-ness” it needs to kick that cold away with a splash of vitamin
View the video below to see exactly how it’s done!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook so get the recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! Obviously, they end up on my YouTube channel as well so follow along! Videos stay up for 24 hours.