Seasonal delight alert!
It’s raspberry season! Clearly, because I found 10 pints for $10 at my local grocery store and had to double check with an employee because I just didn’t believe it. I sometimes get 1 pint for $5, so in fact, I had to double check. Once it was established this was true, I already knew raspberry jam, which also doubles as the perfect pancake, waffle or French toast was in the books for Sunday Brunch.
Let’s not forget the cream cheese yogurt filling. Everyone loves a creamy filling, and when adding a rich yet nonfat Greek yogurt to cream cheese, you won’t resist this decadent dessert like meal! I don’t usually do this but I added chopped mint to the mix and it was so good!
You can even end with a amber maple syrup shower to cut through the tartness of the raspberry topping, although it doesn’t need it. Sprinkle pecans for added texture, but I’m addicted to pecans and basically add them to everything so don’t quote me the necessity of this.
Bottom line is, this is a delicious option for a lazy weekend brunch because it is so easy to make, on the healthier side of brunch, and absolutely delicious. Here is what you do:
YOGURT CREAM CHEESE RASPBERRY JAM FRENCH TOAST
For the French Toast Mixture
- 1 egg white, 2 egg whites (or 2 eggs)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or honey
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 slices of brioche (or sliced bread of choice)
CREAM CHEESE (MINT) FILLING
- 1/2 cup low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp honey (or sugar)
- Cinnamon to taste
- Optional: 3-4 finely chopped mint leaves
RASPBERRY JAM TOPPING
- 2 pints of raspberries
- Juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 3-4 tbsp honey (or brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
TOP IT OFF
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Maple syrup for drizzling
- Optional: Whipped cream (YES)
- Start the jam and watch it closely while preparing the French toast mixture. You can do this! multi-tasking is what you do.
Add raspberries to a medium frying pan, with 3 tbsp of water until it starts simmering, about 3-4 minutes. Then add lime juice and honey, mixing it slightly with a wooden spoon. Add cinnamon and butter and mix again, carefully, especially if you’d like it to be slightly chunky. Totally simmering time should be about 20-25 minutes. May add another tbsp of water to maintain a semi liquid state, otherwise it will become jam like, which is the point.
- While you’re making the raspberry jam topping, Mix all French toast mixture ingredients together.
Let Greek yogurt sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes or zap it in microwave for 10-15 seconds so it is easier to mix. Add Greek yogurt to it until it is a homogeneous cream, then add honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon and mint if you’re using it.
- Dip brioche into french toast mixture and fry them on frying pan or prepared with some baking spray/coconut oil/butter (your choice) for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown color is achieved and bread is cooked through.
Layer bread with approximately 1-2 tbsp of yogurt cream cheese filling. Layer them up and add raspberry jam/topping on top.
- I further added fresh raspberries and showered with chopped pecans! Drizzle maple syrup for added sweetness and with a side of whipped cream because Sundays are meant for indulging, although we didn’t completely fall off the rail.
This is the ultimate comfort, feel good brunch item that won’t make you feel bad about life afterwards, so enjoy it!Not to mention it is simple to make, super satisfying, modified healthy and pretty! Making awesome to put together with and for anyone, even kids! I can’t wait to have my little one helping me make breakfast!
I hope you enjoy! If so, don’t forget to leave me feedback below – I LOVE hearing back from you!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – Follow for my recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! They typically end up on my YouTube channel as well! Videos stay up for 24 hours.