If you like angel cake, you’ll enjoy this! It is delicious, light and fluffy and SO much better for you! It’s nakey cause it doesn’t have any frosting, which doesn’t mean you can’t add your own! In fact would be amazing with coconut whipped cream or frosting of your choice, and I have great ideas for that below! Also, check out the video to see how it was done quite quickly!
Something else that goes super well on this is dos or tres leches topping…but enough about what goes on top! Let’s talk about what goes in the cake, and what you can fill it with. So YUM! especially with dulce de leche filling which I’m apparently addicted to during this pregnancy! This is definitely a healthier version, so here is what you need:.
NAKED COCONUT CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour+ 1 tbsp cake flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 sugar + 2 tbsp
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or softened butter
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
FILLING (for 2 Mini Cakes)
- 1/4 cup of dulce de leche
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons of coconut water
TOPPINGS (for sprinkling)
- More shredded coconut
- Toasted coconut
- Confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly coat 2 round cake pans, or 1 round cake pan and 3 mini cake pans as seen in the video.
- Spray cooking spray on pans and use 1 tbsp of cake flour to lightly dust pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir with a whisk or stand mixer.
- Place sugar plus and butter/oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for until well blended.
- Add flour mixture and coconut water alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, beat 3 egg whites on high speed until foamy using clean, dry beaters. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat).
- Carefully fold egg whites into batter; pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes for the large round pan or about 15 minutes for the mini cake pans until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For the filling, simply mix all ingredients (dulce de leche, shredded coconut and coconut water) together to a paste consistency and fill your mini cakes. Double, triple or even quadruple the recipe for larger cake.
- Sprinkle toppings and/or see the tip below.
TIP: Feeling daring? To make this cake moist and even more delicious (but a bit more caloric), bring one can of condensed milk and one can of evaporated milk in a pan to medium heat until well incorporated. Poke holes all over round cake and pour mixture on top. This will make it a two leches naked cake. Add 1 can of coconut milk to the mixture for a tres leches naked cake!
I did it both ways. It was ALL delicious!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook, so follow me there to get the scoop on all the recipes before they even make it to the blog or to any of my other social media! Videos stay up for 24 hours and sometimes become YouTube videos, Yeah!