Ok, so these are waffles are ridiculous! They might as well be individual cakes! AMAZING! Massive, and delicious, whole grain nutty spiced pumpkin waffles that are fluffy pillows ready to eat! This recipe yields six 7-inch Belgian waffles, which means 2 really hungry people can put them away but will likely feed 3-4 “normal” people just as fine, especially if you have other dishes for brunch. Keep in mind this will be the center of attention when you do make them because, well….look at them! These kept winecoach and I stuffed beyond belief, but happy, oh so happy. Here is what I did:
HEALTHY PUMPKIN WAFFLES or “PUMPKIN CAKESTERS”
- 2 cups any flour (I used a mix: 1 cup whole wheat flour, ½ cup almond meal, ½ cup flaxseed meal
- 2 eggs and 1 egg white
- Scant ⅔ cup milk of choice (I used a mix of unsweetened almond and coconut milk)
- Scant ¼ cup melted coconut oil, or oil of choice (or butter)
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
I used Doce de Nata (featured on BrazilianFusion) which is a Brazilian sweet/spread that reminds me of dulce de leche blended with shredded coconut in between the stacks of waffles and lightly over the top.
Sprinkle toasted pecans and Maple syrup over the top.
I also love adding fresh bananas, what a treat!
Feel free to get creative! Nut butters would go awesome here too!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour(s), sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the milk, oil, pumpkin purée, honey and vanilla extract. Whisk until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry flour mixture. Whisk it all together and allow it to sit for a few minutes if able to.
- Preheat your waffle iron and spoon the batter into waffle iron. It will be pretty thick, that’s why I call it “cakester”! Close the lid.
- Once the waffle is deeply golden and crisp, transfer it to a cooling rack or keep them warm on a plate over warm surface. Keeping them in the oven at low heat also works.
- Enjoy them with desired toppings! See my suggestions for what I did! LASTLY: check out the video of how I put it all together if you have any questions!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
LEARN HOW TO MAKE IT IN UNDER 3 MINUTES BY WATCHING THIS VIDEO!