Anyone who’s had a good bowl of Mac and Cheese will typically remember the comfort it brings. Even if you didn’t grow up eating it (I’m Brazilian, I grew up on rice and beans), at some point, you experience it and BAM! Love at first bite. For us health conscious folks, it’s something we typically avoid, especially if you’re the one going to make it. High in fat, caloric bowl of carbs (I love carbs) and certainly something to be enjoyed seldomly if not rarely as treat.
This is a healthified version I enjoy and wanted to share with you all. You can have it anytime you want without completely ruining your healthy diet plan but also satisfying your crave for a delicious pasta dish made healthy!
Healthy Mac and Cheese
- 6 oz elbow macaroni or any type of pasta (I used a gluten free version today)
1 small potato, peeled, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 cup of onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup low fat sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 head of broccoli, steamed
- 1 tbsp EVOO.
- In a sauce Boil the chopped potatoes and carrots together until soft. Sautéed onion and garlic in 1 tbsp EVOO for about 2 minutes and add boiled veggies. To a blender, or using hand held blender add a cup of almond milk and blend until smooth.
- Transfer back to sauce pan if you used blender and add sharp cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt. Mix all together until cheese is well blended and melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roughly chop steamed broccoli and enjoy! So good! To keep it plant based leave out the cheese. For true cheese lovers, add another 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar – this version is still a lot healthier done this way.
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook, so follow me there to get the scoop on all the recipes before they even make it to the blog or to any of my other social media! Videos stay up for 24 hours and sometimes become YouTube videos, Yeah!