I’m a sucker for a nice sear and crispy crusty scallops! Pair that with a corn succotash and HEAVEN! These are the best quality scallops I’ve ever prepared, hands down. I had them shipped fresh and cold from Fulton Fish Market. Use promo code: COLORFULFOODIE15 to get 15% off you’re first order.
Now here is how to get the perfect pan seared scallops using the one and only cast iron pan. I recommend this cast iron pan which is large (12”) comes pre-seasoned. Use code “ANA”.
Crusty Pan Seared Scallops
- 12-16 scallops
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme)
- Heat up cast iron pan till it’s piping hot. Wash and dry scallops thoroughly with paper towels. Remove little adductor muscle on the side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil and keep your eye on the clock. Place scallops in super hot skillet and do not move them. These are large jumbo scallops, so I let them sizzle 90 seconds before moving or turning them. Smaller scallops might only need 45-60 seconds. You don’t want to overcook but also don’t want to prevent that beautiful sear we all long for.
- When you’re about to turn the scallops, add 1-2 tbsp of butter and fresh herbs to the pan (I like rosemary and thyme). Lower to medium heat and flip each of them in the other you put them down.
- Gently baste them with a spoon as you infuse them with those buttery herby flavors, for about 90 seconds again. They should have a nice golden brown crusty finish with a soft opaque center.
Serve warm corn succotash or any other grain or fresh salad.
For the Warm Corn Succotash
- Bag of Sweet corn (from TJ’s)
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- Handful IG Cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups of Arugula
- 2 oz Feta cheese (in the absence of cotija)
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 2-3 tbsp heavy whipping cream (optional)
- Juice from a Lime
- Fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro)
- Melt butter in a large frying pan, add bag of sweet corn (I like using Trader Joe’s) for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped red peppers about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you want it creamier, add some heavy whipping cream.
- Finish off with with a handful of arugula just to mix in, plus crumbly feta or cotija cheese and fresh herbs. Serve immediately!
Serve warm with protein of choice, in this case, yummy scallops! I also ordered salmon, trout and seabass from Fulton Fish Market. Stay Tuned for how to prepare!
So worth it to stock up on high quality fresh seafood like this, especially for those of us who are landlocked. Again use promo code: COLORFULFOODIE15 to get 15% off you’re first order of $150 from www.fultonfishmarket.com. You will not be disappointed.