Ok, so I like to bake. No secret there right? I ALWAYS make breakfast muffins because @winecoach and I both have long drives to work and have no time to eat breakfast at home (which would be lovely), so in the mornings it’s a green smoothie on-the-go followed by coffee and a homemade muffin which I try to switch up on a weekly basis (we enjoy variety).
I ran into 2 small zucchinis that were nearly dead (or ready to be thrown away) and decided to make bread and I’m so glad I did because…..this is probably the Best muffin/square combination I ever made. WOW!!! It took a little more elbow grease than normal but so worth it. The real treat is working those walnuts for added crunch. Here is how:
The most Delicious Zucchini Bread EVER
- Nonstick cooking spray, for coating loaf or muffin pan
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 small)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp local honey
- 2 tbsp macadamia oil (or any)
- 2-3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
Optional: 1 overripe banana
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- Dulce de leche (about 1 tsp per muffin, of tbsp if you are willing)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat a loaf or muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Spread the walnuts out on a baking sheet, lather with maple syrup and toast in the oven until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle coconut sugar lightly over walnuts and toss them around – toast for another 3-4 minutes. Cool and roughly chop.
- Coarsely grate the zucchini into a bowl and squeeze out the excess liquid; It should yield about 1 1/2 cups zucchini.
- Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a blender, mixer or by hand, mash banana (if using banana in this recipe) add the coconut sugar, honey, oil, almond butter, vanilla and eggs and mix on medium speed. Add the flour mixture and beat or blend on low speed until well combined.
- Stir in the zucchini until evenly combined. Pour the batter into the loaf or muffin pan.
- If you are filling them with dulce de leche, fill muffin tin about ½ way, add dollop of filling and cover with more batter.
- Sprinkle toasted walnuts over the top and place pan in center of oven.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes for loaf, about 25 minutes for muffin or squares.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and completely cool. Makes 10-12 delicious servings.
LEARN HOW TO MAKE THE RECIPE IN UNDER 3 MINUTES BY WATCHING THIS VIDEO!!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I will continue to snap and cook so get the recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! I’ll continue sharing more awesome things about the pregnancy and my adventures as I learn them! Videos stay up for 24 hours, so get following there!