I used to make this all the time, and I think I might just go back to it. This is perfect, especially when craving that creamy white sauce, minus all the calories and unnecessary fats! The pasta is grain-free and gluten-free but it doesn’t need to be. I added grilled chicken and broccoli and voilá. This is another you can feel free to get creative with, but here is how you want to start :
- 4-6 oz of fettuccine
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 head of broccoli, steamed, chopped
- 4-6 oz grilled chicken, chopped
To your taste:
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup heavy cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 cup starchy boiling water from pasta pot (from your fettuccine)
- Cook Fettucini according to directions.
- Chop the cauliflower. Bring the vegetable broth and water to a boil over medium high heat and add cauliflower.
- Cook until cauliflower is soft, about 15 minutes; the longer you cook it, the smoother the sauce will be.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the minced garlic and sautée for 4-5 minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and cauliflower are cooking, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the fettuccine according to directions on package, reserving some of the starchy water to add to the sauce later.
- Transfer cauliflower to a blender with about 1 cup of the broth. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender or use a hand blender.
- Add the sauteed garlic, salt, nutmeg, and black pepper and puree until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Once the mixture is moving, stream the olive oil into the blender.
- Add more broth or water if the mixture is too thick to move through the blender. You want it to turn through the blender easily. When puree is very smooth, transfer back to the butter/garlic skillet.
- Add the cream or yogurt and cook over low heat. Add the starchy pasta water (or regular water if you’re not making pasta) and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Combine fettuccini and sauce in a large pot or skillet and serve immediately. Mix in steamed broccoli and top with grilled chicken.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie