Happy Independence day to our beautiful country! So happy to be one if those who get to serve this amazing country, and what better way to celebrate than to eat using the beautiful colors of our flag!
Winecoach requested French toast as soon as we woke up, so I went to work! The colors were definitely inspired by today’s holiday as well as what I had in the fridge! It just so happened that I had the red, white and blue fully available. Plus it’s berry season, so no brainer there!
French toast is delicious, plus the mixture is generally healthier and the filling as well. I played with some of the ingredients and cut the fat and sugar content by at least half, if not more and this the end result. ! Yes it’s carb loaded, but carbs are life! You need them to think, so here is a carb day recipe for you!
QUADRUPLE BERRY FRENCH TOAST – RED, WHITE and BLUE BRUNCH
For the French Toast Mixture
- 1 egg white, 2 egg whites (or 1 egg)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or honey
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 slices of bread (I used cinnamon raisin swirl)
Healthier Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/4-1/2 low fat Greek yogurt
- 1-4-1/2 low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (to taste)
- 1-2 cups of mixed berries: strawberries, balafon errors, blueberries and raspberries or whatever you got at hand!
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Cinnamon to taste
- Cooking spray (optional)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Maple syrup for drizzling (highly recommended)
- Mix all French toast mixture ingredients together. Set brioche aside.
- Mix together cream cheese mixture: you can do equal parts of cream cheese and Greek yogurt or 1/3 cream cheese and 2/3 yogurt for healthier option that won’t sacrifice taste. Allow to chill slightly in the fridge.
- Caramelize berries! Spray a frying pan with coconut oil (or any oil) unless you have a good non adherent frying pan, then you’re ok. Add 1-2 cups of mixed fresh berries along with 1-2 tbsp of honey and cinnamon and allow flavors to marry. After a few minutes splash the juice of half a lemon to allow the citrus juice to cut through the natural sugars and sweetness of the honey and berries.
- Being to high heat and boil, following by a low simmer for around 10-12 minutes until the texture is “jammy” (no longer funny but pulpy like jam).
- Dip bread into french toast mixture and fry them on frying pan prepared with some baking spray or coconut oil, about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown color is achieved and break is “cooked through”.
- Layer bread with cream cheese mixture and add fresh mixed berries (I used chopped strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries) over it, further layering with as many stacks of bread you desire. Repeat the process until your eyes are satisfied.
- Once done, add warm berries over the top and drizzle with maple syrup. You’ll be so happy you did!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook so get the recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! Videos stay up for 24 hours