Spaghetti squash has a mild taste and makes for a great pasta/spaghetti substitute, although today I used it in conjunction with pasta. This is great for those of us who need to sneak extra veggies into our loved one’s foods or want to reduce the amount of pasta intake. It is a great lower carbohydrate option and is packed with Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids which promoted brain function and decreases heart disease and inflammation. Win win everyone!
This is a quick carbonara-like recipe that will give you the rich flavor you crave and made quite simple! Here is what I did.
QUICK CARBONARA SPAGHETTI SQUASH PASTA
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 4-6 oz spaghetti or linguine
- 2 oz diced pancetta, or 4 strips of bacon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed1 egg, plus 2 yolks
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt, pepper, parsley and red pepper flakes
Set oven to 425F.
- There are many ways of preparing spaghetti Squash, but this is how I make it:Prick holes all over spaghetti squash with a fork. Place it on a baking sheet in the center of the oven. Once you can easily cut through the squash with a sharp knife, it’s ready. Set it aside for a few minutes until it cools. Then cut it in half, gut out seeds and use a fork to “strain” the flesh into spaghetti like strands.
- Boil the pasta according to instructions. Meanwhile, fry pancetta or bacon in a frying pan for a few mins until golden and crisp. If using bacon, allow it to cook and chop it up.
- Drain pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- To drained pasta, add spaghetti squash strands, egg and egg yolks and a tbsp of cooking water, then mix until pasta is coated and creamy.
- Add 1/4 cup Parmesan and continue gently cook the sauce for a few minutes.
- Stir in the pancetta and garlic then serve, topped with the remaining Parmesan, parsley and red pepper flakes if you like it spicy!
Serve on the squash shell and save the dishes! I love a natural bowl dish! I hope you remake and enjoy!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook so get the recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! Videos stay up for 24 hours.