Smile! It’s peach season. I always get excited for seasonal fruits and veggies! I was food shopping for some essentials and needless to say, the peaches spoke to me! They were so bright and beautiful, I immediately though: I will for sure make brunch happen with these peaches! So glad I did, especially incorporating it in a French toast dish.
This mixture is generally healthier and the filling as well. I played with some of the ingredients and cut the fat and sugar content by at least half, if not more and this the end result. ! Yes it’s carb loaded, but carbs are life! You need them to think, so here is a carb day recipe for you!
PEACHES AND CREAM FRENCH TOAST
For the French Toast Mixture
- 1 egg white, 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or honey
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 slices of brioche bread (or bread of choice
Healthier Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/4-1/2 low fat Greek yogurt
- 1-4-1/2 low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 peaches, sliced (save a few fresh sliced for garnishing)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Sprinkle of coconut sugar
- Cinnamon to taste
- Cooking spray
- *Optional: lemon juice (not used in this recipe)
- Maple syrup for drizzling (highly recommended)
- Mix all French toast mixture ingredients together. Set brioche aside.
- Mix together cream cheese mixture. Allow to chill slightly in the fridge.
- Caramelize peaches! Spray a frying pan with coconut oil (or any oil). Add fresh sliced peaches along with honey and cinnamon and allow flavors to marry. After a few minutes you’ll achieve the caramelization desired with the honey. If you’re peaches are tart, feel free to sprinkle some sugar.
- Dip brioche into french toast mixture and fry them on frying pan prepared with some baking spray or coconut oil, about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown color is achieved and break is “cooked through”.
- Layer bread with cream cheese mixture and add caramelized peaches over it, further layering with as many stacks of bread you desire. Repeat the process until your eyes are satisfied.
- Once done, add fresh peaches over the top and drizzle with warm maple syrup. You’ll be so happy you did!
*If peaches are quite ripe and sweet, add a splash of lemon juice so the acidity can break through the sweetness.
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook so get the recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! Videos stay up for 24 hours