How can these be EVEN healthier than my typical healthy banana waffles or healthy banana pancakes? Well, I’ll tell you not much different, except these contain no flour, and I don’t mean regular flour. I mean not even ground up oats, almonds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, etc… nothing!), because ground up anything IS flour, and takes away from the “REAL” ingredient in itself. Here, we are only using the ACTUAL whole grain: flaxseeds, whole chia seeds, oats in this recipe, so that we fully benefit from the grains, and they enter our bloodstream slowly, as they were meant to, keeping our glucose and insulin levels nice and steady without any unnecessary spikes.
I’ve been reading a lot about how our brain responds to sugar and flour in a addictive manner, so I invite you to come with me in this even healthier whole foods journey, where I’ll be sharing flourless and sugarless dishes of all types. You already know what I mean by flourless, but by sugar-less I mean, sugar or anything that resembles it. And yes, that includes your artificial sweeteners too, because your dopamine receptors could careless if it’s real or fake sugar – it tastes sweet, and BAM, it triggers the brain and so on…But all of this requires a whole separate blog post.
Now I give you what you came here for! The waffles…. or pancakes….this one will depend on how you’re feeling and what you have at hand.
HEALTHIER Banana Waffles
(that doubles as Pancakes)
Makes 1 serving (can double or triple for desired party)
- 1 1/2 banana (4oz)
- *2 tbsp quick oats
- *1 tbsp chia seeds
- *1 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1 egg
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
*if you’re not into all the seeds, just 1 oz quick oats will do. All seeds/oats should equal 1 oz
- Waffle iron if making waffles; Frying pan if making pancakes.
- Nonstick cooking spray (I like using coconut or olive oil spray)
- 1(ish) tbsp nut butter, melted (I almost always choose almond, in place of maple syrup)
- .5 oz nuts (I almost always choose pecans)
- 2 oz fruit (leftover half of banana, sprinkled with some raspberries and blueberries or fruit of choice)
- 1 tbsp plain or Greek yogurt (in place of whipped cream)
- Mix all ingredients together, pour into hot oiled waffle iron and wait for the magic to happen.
- If making pancakes keep them relatively small, pour only about 2 tablespoons at once over medium heat frying pan and turn them once they are set. They are fragile but hold up well.
- After done, top with the suggested toppings and enjoy. Feel free to switch up the fruits but stay away from fake sugar and mind your portions if you’re really wanting to stay on track.
I hope this makes it easier to enjoy weekend brunch without breaking the healthy diet most of us are wanting to follow, whether it’s achieving the desired goal weight, or simply maintaining the healthiest body possible.
Here to help the journey and keep myself accountable!
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – Follow for my recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! They typically end up on my YouTube channel as well! Videos stay up for 24 hours. They are also featured on my highlights over on Instagram Stories!