Saint Patty’s weekend came and went, and although this year I made nothing green, I DID make something of my favorite item out of Ireland, which is Baileys. You may have ran into the Valentine’s day special treat I made back in February: My Boozy Strawberries and Cream French Toast and they have something in common *hint hint*, except with that one I used the limited edition Strawberries and Cream Baileys, which is also delicious. I have a thing for boozy foods, or food items that were made with alcoholic beverages because it just adds an “edge” to these dishes and go perfect with coffee….the nectar of life
Anyway, these us an easy to pull off French toast made with my favorite coffee drink (who am I kidding, I love it on the rocks as well!), now immortalized in my favorite brunch dish: French toast! I strongly recommend this for your weekend brunch, or day off, because this is made to be enjoyed. These are also a lot healthier than many other recipes – I use yogurt and very little fats compared to other recipes that are simply loaded. I like to call my style healthy with a side of indulgence. PLUS, I only do this on weekends, or cravings – It’s life y’all, you gotta live it!
BAILEYS AND CREAM FRENCH TOAST WITH CARAMELIZED BANANAS
French toast batter
- 1/2 cup Baileys Original
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder or more depending on your level of addiction to this
- 2 eggs
- 6-8 slices of brioche (or preferred sliced bread)
- 1-2 tbsp butter for searing the toast
For the Caramelized Bananas
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Optional: brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Baileys Original, (or more if you’re feeling lucky)
- 2 heaping tbss cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 heaping tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
Optional (not really) Toppings
- Whipped cream
- Pecan Pieces
- maple syrup
- caramel sauce
- Mix together French toast batter ingredients until homogenous.
- Mix together all ingredients for the Baileys cream starting with the cream cheese and Greek yogurt until fairly homogenous. Then add baileys and maple syrup.
- Dip bread into batter gently, until bread is fully soaked.
- In a non-stick skillet melt butter over medium-low heat. Add 1 or 2 slices of bread at a time depending on the size of your skillet and cook on both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side. Be sure to control the heat so it doesn’t burn.
- Use another skillet Meanwhile, melt butter, add banana slices and toss gently. Sprinkle cinnamon, turn them individually until they achieve a nice brown sear.
- Serve french toast stacked: Bread, dollop of Baileys cream spread, caramelized bananas, pecan pieces are optional, but add a whole lotta crunch and texture. Stack ’em as high as you like ’em! Finish it with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel over some more caramelized bananas.
- Say a little prayer – this is good stuff!
Enjoy it with a good cup of strong coffee with a bit (of ALOT) of Baileys! This was so delicious and satisfying. For more French toast recipes, click HERE! It’s kind of my thing.
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
Facebook: The Colorful Foodie
Youtube: Colorful Foodie
Pinterest: Colorful Foodie
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – Follow for my recipes in real time before they make it to the blog! They typically end up on my YouTube channel as well! Videos stay up for 24 hours.