Baked NOT fried, And completely healthyfied to Amp up the protein to our Brunch his weekend. The taste and crunchiness are also there, so you won’t miss it! Fried chicken’s got nothing on this on, and no, it is NOT a cheat meal, completely acceptable-ish! I hope you give it a shot! Here is what I did:
HEALTHIER CHICKEN AND WAFFLES
BAKED CRISPY CHICKEN
- 1/2 cup any flour (I used rye)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed (I used 1.5 cup berry flakes 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal).
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets
- 1 cup rye flour (use any)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil (any oil)
- These are items to elevate your dish (take it or leave it, but if possible, definitely take it!):
- Honey mustard sauce: mix 1 tbsp Dijon mustard + 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Bacon (or Pig Candy*, chopped up and incorporated into the batter)
- Shredded Cheddar
- Maple syrup for drizzling
*Pig candy is what I like to call candied bacon jerky that is simply amazing which I found at Cafe Genevieve in Jackson Hole and am now addicted
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place an oven-safe cooking rack on top and spray with cooking oil.
- Prepare three bowls for dipping: one with the flour, salt and pepper; one with the egg whites and yogurt; and one with the crushed corn flake pieces and ground flaxseed. Be sure to stir each bowl.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the flour mixture, followed by the egg white/yogurt mixture, followed by the corn flakes, coating evenly. Place the coated chicken evenly spaced out onto the prepared rack.
- Spray top tops of the chicken with cooking oil spray to achieve golden brown chicken. Bake for 20-30 minutes until thoroughly cooked and juices run clear.Meanwhile, make your waffles by doing the following: Preheat your waffle maker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spray the waffle maker with cooking spray and following the waffle maker’s instructions to make the waffles.
- Once the waffles and chicken are done, drizzle honey mustard over “bottom waffle, sprinkle cheddar while warm, layer bacon if using, and sit chicken breast on top. If you want to make it a sandwich, add another waffle to the top!
- Enjoy with maple syrup or more of that honey mustard. The chicken should be crunchy on the outsideand juicy on the inside.
- Serves 2 large chicken breasts or 4 medium and 6 medium waffles.
Count Colors, NOT Calories!
Color your Plate, Color your Life.
SNAPCHAT: AnaSandee – I snap and cook, so follow me there to get the scoop on all the recipes before they even make it to the blog or to any of my other social media! Videos stay up for 24 hours and sometimes become YouTube videos, Yeah!